Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tick...Tick...Tick...

So, it's finally here. I am officially 12 hours away from my child's birth day. Can you believe it? I can hardly believe it myself to tell you the truth. I feel like this pregnancy has lasted a decade and in one day it'll all be done. Wow! The past couple of days have been particularly hard for me. I've tried to relish every moment that I've had alone with my two and a half year old. Yesterday we did all of his favourite things (including pretending to be a fire man with the hose in the backyard, taking a turn on ALL the ride-ons at Dixie Value Mall, having a soft-serve ice cream cone, eating Bunny Pasta for lunch and watching the whole "Cars" movie). I tried to make my last full day with him alone as special as possible, although I'm pretty sure he didn't see the importance of it. As I was reading him a story before bed last night I started to feel an enormous twinge of guilt. Although my husband and I have spent the last month "preparing" him for the newest edition to the family, he truly has NO CLUE what's in store. And for this I feel bad. I know there's nothing more we could've done. He's just at an age where he doesn't totally get what we're telling him, and until he experiences it, he won't. DONE AND DONE. But it doesn't change the fact that I feel terrible just "springing" this on him.

Tonight, as I was putting him to bed I realized that this would be the last time I would do this as a family of three. AND I CRIED AND CRIED AND CRIED AND CRIED. This should really be a happy occasion for the family, and in the grand scheme of things, it is. I know. But I couldn't help but get caught up in the moment, feeling like my son may hate me when the next time I put him to bed, it will be with another human being in tow. Okay, it's time to stop whining about it.

Tomorrow is a BIG DAY! I will finally get to meet The Bean!!!!! I'm so excited! And of course, a little bit nervous. I mean, it is major surgery I'm having...but I'm thinking as positively about it as I possibly can. It's all a means to an end, right? So, I've just finished my "last supper" (for those of you who know me, you won't be surprised that it was Kraft Dinner), because I'm not allowed to eat beyond midnight tonight. I also had to call the Labour and Delivery Triage unit this afternoon to confirm the "no drinking" beyond 3am policy they have. I didn't think it was that big a deal. I don't drink pop or juice or coffee...so it wasn't all that big a sacrifice. BUT...what I didn't realize was that the rule also included WATER!!!!!!!!!! Yes, it's true. Not a drop of water after 3am. Yes, it's a freakin' heat wave. Yes, my surgery isn't until 11:45am tomorrow...YES, THAT'S A LONG TIME WITHOUT AQUA!!!!! So, I'm drinking as much as I possibly can for the next 4 hours in hopes that my body retains it (hello pregnant bladder....?). I'm also crossing my fingers that I will actually get some sleep tonight, although I'm feeling like this is going to be highly unlikely...nerves and all.



I did, however, want to let everyone know that we appreciate all the well wishes that we've received over the past few days. The next time you hear from me I will have officially gone from one to two...I hope I can cope!

No comments:

Post a Comment