Thursday, July 15, 2010

Ze Operation

So, this past week has been rather eventful, if I do say so myself. Because I've been away for a bit and not keeping up with my blog, I'll spend some time discussing the operation, the sibling introduction, the recovery, home, etc. in separate posts if that's okay. (Also doesn't help that I don't have a handful of minutes to spare most days!)

Today's post will be about the actual operation. So I survived the hunger strike and zero liquid diet..surprisingly. The c-section was scheduled for 11:45am...but of course, that didn't happen. Apparently there was one thing after another with regards to O.R. room availability. I felt like throwing out the Seinfeld quote, " see, you know how to TAKE the reservation, you just don't know how to HOLD the reservation, and that's really the most important PART of the reservation..." but I decided to keep my mouth shut as emergency c-sections were happening (and they obviously take precedence) as well as an electrical fire (thankfully that didn't happen during MY c-section...yikes).


So, after watching my husband eat a gigantic sandwich, 2 PAINFUL I.V. pokes, no water, but 500 pees wheeling an IV wagon around and 4 hours later, I made the death row walk down to the O.R. to get prepped. I was peculiarly not nervous, as I'd anticipated I'd be. The spinal wasn't painful and the O.R. team were very nice and super funny which helped to keep my mind of the task at hand. Finally my husband came into the room and they got started. I wasn't really sure what to expect as the last time I'd had a c-section I was completely unconscious, although from watching a billion "A Baby Story's" on TLC, I'd anticipated a lot of discomfort, pressure and pulling. That wasn't the case at all (thank you Ms. Anaesthesiologist!) and much to my surprise within minutes the baby was out and crying.

SO...what did I have????


I had a beautiful baby girl! I couldn't believe it! My husband was equally as shocked. I think the last month that I was pregnant we were both pretty sure that we had another little boy in the belly...but that just goes to show...sometimes, one really shouldn't trust their instincts (or maybe that's just me...I've been wrong 2 for 2 when it comes to guessing the sex of my babies!) So, for all of you out there who were rooting for a little girl...we finally got one! And, now that the baby is born, I can tell you that the whole time I was secretly wishing for one. I always thought it would be nice to have one of each...less competition for the siblings, etc. Now, I couldn't say that beforehand, obviously for fear that my new son would one day read this blog and feel I'd been disappointed with the end result...But no feelings needed to be spared! I have one boy and one girl. YAHOO!



Anyway, the whole planned c-section went off without a hitch and for the most part, I think it was the right option for me (more on that in later posts about my hospital stay and my recovery - still in process). I was so happy to experience the birth of my little girl while being awake, and being able to kiss her and cuddle her as soon as she was scooped out was absolute magic. Not to take away from the sound of her little cries when they were giving her a little scrub. It was like music to my ears. So, I really do feel like I'm extremely lucky. I have two healthy babies and what feels like the perfect family (said the woman who's only been a mom of two for ONE WEEK). I can't wait to see what the next weeks/months/years bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment