Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Terrible Twos Have Landed...


I thought after 31 months, I was in the clear. But CLEARLY I was wrong about that. I thought I had missed those terrible twos that I'd heard SO much about, but it looks like it was strictly wishful thinking on my part. I'm hoping that the past two weeks have just been a phase rather than a sign of what's to come. I'm sure most mothers can relate to the yelling, crying, whining and straight-up defiance that most kids show at this "wonderful" age...but I wasn't prepared for a constant battle with it. My son's favourite word is no. But if only it ended there. No is usually accompanied by foot stomps and high pitched screaming (usually about a millimeter from my face). This happens at home, at meal times and especially at stores. I'm pretty sure my son hoardes his worst behaviour for long lineups in busy shops where there are lots of people rolling their eyes. And have you ever tried to pick up a tantruming kid? It's like trying to grab a slick eel soaked in oil. I'm not sure how they learn the shark death roll tactic at such a young age, but as soon as a parent grabs them, the arms go up and the body goes rigid. Parents' arms just end up sliding right off. Anyway, I suppose I should just drop my potential purchases and run for the shelter of my car (shelter from those judging eyes), but I just can't bring myself to do it. It's almost a waste of good shopping time (considering that kinda time is few and far between when there are two kids to cart around), so I stick it out, much to the chagrin of those in the lineups around me.

At home we have the naughty chair and the threat of sitting in it USED TO BE great. I would warn once and then the second time the bad behaviour reared its ugly head I would count down from three and by two the behaviour stopped. Lately, I'm not so lucky. Most days there's the potential that my child sits in that chair in the corner of the dining room for half of the day. And of course, all hell breaks loose when he gets there. Screaming, hitting the wall, hitting himself...and then come the tears and the I'm sorries: "Mommy, I'm sorry for hitting", "Mommy, I'm sorry for yelling", "Mommy, I'm sorry for not listening" and of course I hug and kiss him and take him off the chair, and sure enough, he's up to no good minutes later...like he's completely forgotten that he was JUST PUNISHED...

Anyway, I know I'm not the only one out there dealing with this particular challenge, but I'm so curious how one can successfully nip this bad behaviour in the bud before it spirals out of control. Please send me all of your tips, as short of beating my child, I'm willing to try anything.



Okay, so now it's confession time... I've officially finished week number one of my weight loss challenge and how did I do?


1) I didn't curb my eating (Of course this should be number one on anyone's list of things to do to lose weight...but I figure, why curb my eating? I'm exercising and that should be enough, no?)


2) I did Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday (half hour of weight training and cardio). Now this is okay...better than nothing, but really I should be doing it more often. I won't even bother giving you excuses. It is what it is and I promise to do better this coming week



3) The proof is in the pudding. Because of my lack of effort on both the food and exertion front, I only lost 0.6 of a pound. Not great. Not good. Not acceptable. Again, I'm going to try better this week. And this is how I'm going to attempt to do it. I'm going to cut my portion sizes and I'm going to make an effort to exercise more often.




Tonight is my first night of kickboxing. Hopefully I don't die, and more so, I hope that it motivates me to get my ass in gear. Jillian Michaels and I will be attached at the remote and we have a date set every night this week with the exception of Wednesday and Friday night (I have to trade her for a date with my two kids....). I'm hoping to do better next week, because at the rate of my current weight loss I'm going to be 55 before I'm back to my goal weight.


So here it is:

Beginning Weight: 148.8 lbs
Current Weight: 148.2 lbs
Goal Weight: 130 lbs
Dream Weight: 125 lbs



Please send me all of your good weight loss vibes. I know I'll need them!

No comments:

Post a Comment