Monday, May 10, 2010

Bring On The Baby!

So, my Mother's Day hangover begins...Too much reflection = trouble. I was sitting in the basement thinking about how exciting it will be to finally meet the little peanut growing in my belly when I realized that the majority of the time I was pregnant with peanut #1, I fretted. I worried about how good a mom I was going to be. I worried about how my husband and I would deal with the impending change. I worried about not knowing how to care for an infant. I worried about birth defects, Down Syndrome and low fetal birth weight, . I worried about eating too much. I worried about eating too little. I worried about the choice between raising a child vegetarian or not, about circumcision or no circumcision. I worried about being a worrier. Honestly, it was endless. This time around I don't feel like I have that issue. I know that my husband and I will be good parents. I know that we are able to handle any curve balls thrown our way. I know that I can feed a child 3 times a day plus snacks without forgetting. I know that our first born and "spirited" child has broken us in for anything and everything.

So, what's left for me to worry about? I'm not really sure. Instead of dwelling on all the first-time parental worries, am I just looking for things to worry about? Trust me, if you need me to worry, I can do it...Will this baby is easier, and if so, will I resent my first (so horrible to think, isn't it?). If this baby is more difficult (Please GOD, help me!) will I regret how I dealt with my first?

HOWEVER, I feel like this time around I'm more open to enjoying the adventure, rather than drowning in it. I'm aware of what sleep deprivation is (oh, am I aware!), and I know what to expect. I have a feeling that this is why firstborns have a tendency to be more uptight than their younger siblings (no offense to those firstborns out there). Do parents chill out when their second, third, fourth (and if you're nuts...beyond) come around? I've heard rumours that you'll let your third kid juggle knives, but I always thought it was because you were stretched so thin you just couldn't pay attention, not that you knew nothing would happen.

Luckily, as I hit the 8 week mark, I'm more focused on what it will be like to finally hold this little beaner in my arms. Will the baby look like me, my husband, or my switched-at-birth toddler? In a little less than 2 months all of my questions will be answered and this time, I can't wait to face them head on!

No comments:

Post a Comment